The Standard Deck of Cards
The standard deck of cards as part of the 918kiss is actually being used as a good space for examples in probability. You see, the standard deck of cards is actually concrete and it has a variety of features that could be examined to help explain certain phenomena.
In this article, I will talk about its many different features and so that you will grow an appreciation for them.
The Features of a Standard Deck of Cards
The standard deck of cards is actually also known as the “French Deck”. This can just be attributed to the fact that the standard deck of cards originated from France.
In this section, I will talk about its many features to help you understand why the standard deck of cards is used to solve problems in probability.
- There is a total of 52 cards in a standard deck
- There are actually 13 different ranks of cards. The cards can range from 2-10, along with the Jack, Queen, King, and Ace. The order of the ranks is actually known as the “Ace High”, with the Ace card having the highest value
- There are instances where the Ace can rank lower than two and there are also cases where the Ace is rank higher than the king. There are also some cases where the Ace can be used in the high or low positions
- There are four figures in a standard deck of cards. These are the spades, diamonds, hearts, and clubs. Therefore, there are 13 cards for each figure (13 spades, 13 diamonds, 13 hearts, and 13 clubs)
- There are actually two pairs of figures judging by its color. The spades and the clubs are always printed in black while the hearts and the diamonds are always printed in red. Therefore, there is a total of 26 black and 26 red cards in a standard deck
- Each of the ranks has four cards in them that signifies one of the figures. For example, there are 4 nines, 4 tens, and so on.
- There is a total of 12 “face cards” in a standard deck. The face cards are Jack, Queen, and King. Since there are four figures in a standard deck, it means that there are 12 in total.
- A standard deck does not contain any Joker cards.
Examples of Probability
For you to try and calculate the probabilities of a standard deck of cards, it is important that you actually know its features so that it will be much easier for you.
Some examples of probability are as follows:
- What is the probability of drawing a face card?
Well, since there is a total of 12 face cards and a total of 52 cards in one deck, then the answer would be the result of 12/52
What do you think is the probability of a red card is drawn? We know for a fact that there is a total of 13 cards per figure and since the hearts and the diamonds are always printed in red, the calculation would be 26/52.