How Do You Measure Web Hosting Uptime?

How Do You Measure Web Hosting Uptime?

You might have come across the term ‘server uptime’ in your quest to find the best hosting provider for your website. You might have an idea of what it is but you are unsure of its true definition. Well, server uptime is just a measure of how long a web server has been up and running without fail.

Because web servers have components that can fail at any time, most hosting companies would only report 99% server uptime, leaving that 1% to account for any failures on the server-side.

Now, 99% uptime might look good on the surface but if you really crunch the numbers, 99% uptime every month is about 3.6 hours that your website could be down and inaccessible to your general audience (and potential customers).

There are hosting companies, however, that are more specific with their percentages. For instance, you might come across a company that can promise up to 99.9% uptime and 0.1% downtime every month is just 43 minutes, which is better than 3.6 hours, no?

Why is Uptime So Important?

Any website can get huge benefits if they are up and running for an indefinite period of time. You could even say that if it is possible, you never want to experience website downtimes at all.

Anyway, web hosting uptime is important because every minute in the online world counts. It has been stated by Google that they will penalize any website that consistently goes down in a given period of time (say, 3 hours or more every month).

Aside from that, online business owners might have trouble getting new prospects because, if a person tries to access your website for the first time but they are unable to due to your website being inaccessible due to a server issue, perhaps, then they are less likely to return to your website as a result.

As you see, website uptime is so important and that is why you should always go for a hosting company that has reliable web servers and data centers.

Possible Causes of Server Downtime

There are many possible reasons that can contribute to server downtime. The first is a hardware failure. Bear in mind that web servers are technically just computers and any component inside a computer can fail at any time.

Aside from that, companies would have to conduct regular server maintenance just to check that every component in their web servers is working as intended.

There are also other things that can happen outside of the data center as well. Traffic spikes or huge surges of internet traffic going to the server or a particular website that is on the server can potentially lead to server or website downtime as well.

How to Measure Server Uptime?

When looking for a hosting company, do not just take their word about server uptime but instead also conduct your research as well.
Look at different website uptime monitoring tools to help you gauge the validity of a hosting provider’s statements regarding their service reliability.